Monday, August 31, 2009

State Fair time!

August in Kentucky can mean only one thing...the state fair. Sadly, Nate and I missed it last year but made up for it this past weekend. While the state fair brings out the best of Kentucky, I refrained from photographing some of the more interesting "people" sight-seeing and opted instead for the animals....check out this prize winning guy above. Nate and I do want chickens but he looks a little too prissy to be laying eggs in our backyard...
Did you know that there are apparently hundreds of varieties of chickens and roosters...these are just a few behind me! For the life of me, I did not see how the "judges" of all these birds could even tell a difference. Apparently, I am a bit uneducated on such matters.
And what state fair visit is complete without checking out the cows?
Nate and the prize-winning tobacco...such a Kentucky picture! He looks so serious and all, like he grew it himself or something!
No, those aren't state fair winners! Those are our very first batch of home grown, peeled, boiled, pressure-cooked and canned tomatoes...with a little help from Nate's grandma via a few phone calls, we got it right and I can't wait to open them up in a few months when the garden has officially tomatoed itself out. We can't can them fast enough either, since we pick about 20-30 each week! Anybody have any good tomato recipes?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...