Saturday, August 1, 2009

Happy birthday....

...to my mom, who deserves a moment to let me brag about her a bit (even though I'm sure she would be embarrassed). It is true that when you finally grow up you can look back and appreciate all the things your parents did for you more. My mom is a great example of what a mother should be...to list just a few things, when we were all growing up she always made sure we ate dinner together as a family (and cooked pretty much every night), she was always involved in all of our activities (track, field hockey, dance, etc.) including our social activities/friends. She and my dad always let us have friends over no matter how last minute it was and no matter how big of a group it was. My closest friends always called our house their second home and to a few of them it kind of became one! My mom also always taught us compassion for others...this is why at every slumber party from 4th to 8th grade she made sure EVERYONE was invited and NO ONE was left out. And that's why she was always helping people who needed it. I can recall countless times growing up that we had various single moms/kids/families over to our house for dinner, Christmas gifts, etc. and my mom sure has put in some long hours volunteering for almost anything you can imagine. On top of that she always made our birthdays, holidays, and vacations fun! Even today, I know I am always welcome at my parents' house (they let Nate and I move in for a few months last year when we were renovating), she took the time to help with whatever house projects we were involved in (seeing as there were plenty last year!), and taught me how to turn my empty backyard into a garden (her backyard looks like something out of a magazine). I could go on but you get the idea...she is a great example of what I hope to someday be!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I agree...the Garling house was a home to me. And mother Garling was as loving as my own mother. Glad you all could celebrate together - I want to learn gardening soon, so I'm glad that these gifts can be passed on (Alison, that means you need to come and visit and help me plan my garden). It will be need a major transformation! Love you and miss you, amanda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...