Monday, January 30, 2012

One of my favorite places

This weekend Nate and I got to get away to Shaker Village (Harrodsburg, KY) to stay for the night. Nate's parents came up and stayed with Andrew so it worked out perfectly. This was Nate's Christmas gift to me this year and I think he picked the perfect weekend to go.
If you've never been to Shaker Village, it's basically acres and acres of old Shaker grounds, with the original buildings that have been restored on the property. You can stay at the old Inn or one of the other  buildings and there is a restaurant and miles and miles of hiking trails. Nate and I hit this stream and while he was brave enough to attempt the log crossing, I wasn't about to get my pregnant self up there! We took a round-about loop to bypass this creek in the end;)
I think I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves...we had perfect sunny days and warm(ish) weather for the last weekend of January. It was so nice to get away and hike!
  

We came upon all sorts of fun things while hiking...like old barns...

Creeks

Original stone Shaker wall

Old farm houses and fences

This was the building where Nate and I stayed (the East Sisters' House)

The Old Inn where we ate dinner in the Winter Kitchen

Shaker architecture is very balanced you could say. The men lived on one side and the women on the other. (The Shakers were celibate and this might explain why the group sort of died out in the early 1900's).



Add caption

We saw two coyotes drinking at this pond but they were gone by the time I got down there!

But these guys didn't mind us watching them eat!





Add caption

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...