Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Break 2009!

Doesn't the heading sound like my week was eventful? But no...I was not on a beach or even out of Louisville for that matter...This is the first spring break since I was maybe 14 or 15 that I haven't been to the ocean! I guess I have just been spoiled, but I feel a need to go to the beach at least once or twice a year (which was much easier when we were in college and it was only 5 hours away!). But Nate's spring break was different from mine this year so we stayed local...and I'm actually glad we did. I got to actually catch up on life outside of work. I spring cleaned my house, worked like crazy in our garden, caught up with friends, read a few books and I even managed to take a few pictures, which I've been really bad at lately.
Jess, Rachel, me and Hayden (Rachels' newborn) at Cafe Lou Lou for lunch. I always love catching up with these girls that I've known since we were in middle school.
My garden, which may not look like much now but these guys will hopefully grow like crazy and bloom in the next few weeks. This is how I spent the majority of my time...outside!
More of my nerdy garden pics...purple salvia and creeping phlox.
And I can't forget the pots...I think I am becoming more of an old lady with each passing day because my idea of a good time is digging in the dirt. I can't wait till summer when I get to do it every day!
Window boxes/baskets on the front of our house...
Nate and I decided we needed a place to sit outside without sinking into the grass, so we built a patio this weekend. I would just like to add that I single-handedly moved those bricks. We lucked out because the office where my mom works was building a deck over the humongous patio in the back (her office is in an old house)...so she jumped at that opportunity (wanting to build a patio herself) and Nate and my dad moved about 30 carloads of bricks this past fall. My mom had plenty extra when she was finished with her and my dad's patio so I had free reign of them this week...Nate told me he would build a patio if I could get ahold of some bricks. When he came home Tuesday I had 200 of them nicely stacked and ready for him:)
Here's the finished picture!
And Tom, Danny and Nate enjoying the warm weather after completion
That evening we had our first official poker night of the season...hopefully to be followed by many more. And I don't really play poker but I love having our friends over...one of these days I'll jump in the game and everyone will be happy because it will increase their odds of winning!
Molly won big...at five dollar buy-ins the competition got pretty intense...not really, but we had fun just sitting outside anyway. It's been a long winter and I am glad spring is here! Today we celebrated Palm Sunday at our church which always reminds me of this season of renewal and hope. I love the Easter season for that reason as well as the renewal outside.

4 comments:

Annie Brainard said...

Love the patio. Thanks for the ceiling paint. Isn't it wonderful to accomplish things? Is everyone in the world like this about getting things done?

Tell Nate that if he gets bored he can come over and work on a patio for us--then you guys won't have to dodge mud and dog poo when you come over next time!

Annie Brainard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Hey! I can't wait to see your house finally...especially now with the patio. The race is coming...are you ready??? I guess we'll see you at Keeneland first.

Casey said...

I love purple salvia too! And its a native plant of the southeast!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...