Sunday, September 14, 2008

Five Years!

This weekend Nate and I celebrated five years, which I really can't believe. I think this means we are getting old...five years out of college, half a decade of marriage...ahhh! So Nate surprised me and told me to pack but not where we were going. We ended up at Shaker Village in Pleasant Hill, KY. Now if you haven't been here and you live in KY you need to go! We've been hiking around here several times before and Nate knows it is one of my favorite places to visit. The best way I can describe it is like hiking through a Robert Frost poem: winding fences, horses, apple orchards, rolling pastures, original old stone fence walls (like the one in "Mending Wall"). We hiked all day Saturday and stayed at one of the old "inns." I naturally took a ton of pictures as seen below.
This is the old building where we stayed. There is a main inn and lots of smaller buildings around it that have 6 or 8 rooms.
Now don't laugh....I absolutely CANNOT pass up a swing if I see one. Nate patiently waited until I had released all my pent up childishness. How can you not love a swing in this setting? Beautiful tree-lined paths that wind around all the old buildings....
Another historic building now used as guest rooms.

Me in front of an old barn we saw on the hike.

Old stone wall bulit by the Shakers themselves!
Nate admiring the view.
Now I won't get too cheesy here but I will say that I have the best husband ever...he always knows how to surprise me and exactly what I need. It's been a hectic several weeks lately with lots of stuff going on for both of us between teaching and grad school so a getaway was just what we needed. I really can't believe it's been five years already! Now I don't know if there is "one" specific person out there for everyone (statistially, that could be impossible) but I do know that God couldn't have matched us up any better. Nate is such a good husband (he puts up with me!)but more than that he is my best friend. I'm so thankful and blessed to have gotten to marry him five years ago:)

2 comments:

MIMILEE said...

How sweet Alison! Congrats on 5 years of marriage.

I enjoyed visiting your blog!

P.s......I have been married to my sweetheart for 43 years! We were 17 when we married......hope you have as many or more years with your sweetie!

In Joy,
MIMILEE<><

Zach and Molly said...

I agree!!! You guys are PERFECT for eachother and Zach and I are so thrilled & blessed to have the honor of being friends with you:).
Have 5th!!!
PS: I hope that you made a baby on that trip:)...ha, ha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...